Deploying clients with SCCM is great when everything works smoothly, but when you get an error…. it really can be a pain in the A**…ehm, Bum…
At one of my customers, where we had to work with some old/spare devices, I had issues with deploying them. The WinPE booted, but then directly restarted. I always enable F8 – testing mode in the Boot Image, so I was able to check if the client had an IP address and if the client had normal access to the local harddrive. Both were OK. So next step: Check the log!
In the log I noticed the following error: Failed to get client identity (80004005)
After reading a lot of Blog posts, pointing this could be a CA issue, or just a problem with the SCCM servers, I finally found a blog telling me to check the BIOS time and date.
And that did the trick! The machines which had this issue, all were old, or not used for a while. And for some reason the machines had the wrong time and date set in the BIOS.
After changing the time and date in the BIOS to the current time and date, everything went well ! 🙂